Barrett Art Center Supporter
What is the history of the Dyson Foundation?
Charles H. (1909-1997) and Margaret M. Dyson (1914 -1990) started the Dyson Foundation to serve as a vehicle for family giving. In its earliest years, the Foundation gave modestly to a wide variety of organizations and causes, with an emphasis on college scholarships to young people. In the late 1960s the Foundation's focus changed to more general purpose funding. From the 1950s through the 1970s, the Foundation's total grants ranged from $50,000 to $200,000 per year. Charlie Dyson was succeeded by his daughter as the Foundation's president in 1979. Dr. Anne E. Dyson, a pediatrician, increased levels of funding in the areas of medicine and child health. The Foundation's annual giving exceeded $1 million per year in the 1980s, increasing again to over $10 million by the late 1990s. Anne E. Dyson died in 2000 and was succeeded by her brother Robert R. Dyson, who continues to serve as Chairman of the Board to this day. The Foundation's current annual giving now averages between $13 and $14 million annually.