Barrett Art Center - Junior Fellow Program
Barrett Art Center is looking for a High School candidate to join our team as our Spring Junior Fellow. Junior Fellows will obtain skills in gallery management, arts administration, social media, visitor services and working and advocating for visual artists that are local to Poughkeepsie and artists nationwide. Junior Fellows will leave this experience with a firmer understanding of various careers in the arts, and will hopefully be inspired to pursue the field professionally.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
● Learn to improve our social media presence on Facebook and Instagram
● Assist in outreach and promoting exhibitions and events in person and online
● Assist in art handling and curating, setting up exhibitions and maintaining gallery appearance
● Assist Teaching with Barrett Kids and other groups in art making (background checks will be required if working with children)
● Completing readings and research that will supplement practical experience
● Completing a self-directed research project related to the Barrett Art Center, non-profit arts, or contemporary art.
● Clear communication skills – in person, through email and over the phone
● Friendly team player who can work with artists, visitors, other staff or volunteers
● Abilities to problem solve and take initiative on projects
● Interest in the arts, whether it be visual arts, performance or music etc.
● Desire to explore the field of contemporary arts, art history, non-profit organizations, writing and/or research
● Must be a current High School Junior or Senior in Dutchess County
To apply, please submit the following before Friday, December 6th, 2019
● Your resume
● One reference
● A completed application (see below)